Ideas to Reduce Stress & Survive Crises
Create your own Self-Care Plan!!
Be Good to Your Body!
Promote Relaxation with Pampering
& Body Treatments
- Schedule a massage in your home for singles or couples!
- Mathews Mobile Massage
- Vince at VRCWellness
- The King Spa in Niles, IL (Day Spa with Body Scrub Treatments)
- The House of Wax, Morton Grove (Happy Hygiene!)
Men's Treatments or Women's Treatments
Nutritionist Services to Promote Healthier Lifestyle & Eating
Take a time out & care for yourself
Get back in touch with Nature!!
- Go for a walk in the Forest Preserve
- Put your hands in some soil and plant an edible garden or garden for fun
- Walk around your neighborhood and focus on letting your mind reflect or get creative, what is your next great idea?
- Find a beautiful location outside to practice mindfulness exercises or walking meditation
Involve the Elements into Soothing Activities
- Build a fire in your fireplace or fire pit and tell stories with friends or loved ones
- Light scented candles and snuggle up with a good book
- Find a calm, quiet place in your home for meditation
- Attend a Drop-in Painting Class at Tipsy Paint in Glenview, IL
Quick review from session! What do your recall about grounding techniques? The idea is to refocus your energy and attention away from your mind and towards information that you are receiving through your five senses (For example, we may have done a grounding exercise together in session using your favorite sense when I introduced these skills during a session.! Examples:
- Visual (focusing on a pleasing or safe image, i..e., sky, flower, or a face)
- Kinesthetic/Touch (lotions/teacup/pillow/chair/massage)
- Taste (hot tea, candy, cough drops)
- Scent/Olfactory (candy, candles, oils, lotion)
- Auditory (music, make a playlist, listen to my voice, listen to the world around you)
- Make your own special "coping playlists" with your favorite songs to help you transition between moods!
To help you practice at home, check out these links:
DBT: Crisis Survival & Self-Soothing
2 Rules of Crisis Survival
1. If you can solve the problem, solve it.
2. If you can't solve the problem, survive the crisis.
Link: The Emotional Intelligence Tool Kit
Link: Top 10 Free Mental Health Apps
Self-Help Link: Stress
Info Link: OCD in Children
Self-Help Link: Stress
Link: 18 Best Apps for Anxiety
Link: Self-help for Anxiety Management App
Link: Stop Panic and Anxiety App
Link: Anxiety Management Deep Breathing Audio Tools
DBT: Mindfulness Skills
- Relaxation Training: Meditation & Mindfulness Practices
- Link: Use your Wise Mind & Intro DBT Coping Skills
- DBT: DISTRESS TOLERANCE SKILL: ACCEPTS (See Video)
Dealing with Crises Related to Domestic Violence, Intimate Partner Violence,
Housing Case Management Resources
- Chicago Women's Emergency Shelters: Housing